- Category: Biographies
- Published on Sunday, 19 February 2012 04:40
- Written by Katy Hestand
William Y. McLemore, born in Dade County in 1852, son of Archibald and Mary (Brown) McLemore, is the senior member of the firm of McLemore Brothers, general merchants and dealers in farm implements, live stock, etc., established in July, 1884. The value of their sales annually is about $30,000 the value of the stock being about $8,000. The subject of this sketch, the fourth child of a family of six, three sons and three daughters, was raised on the farm, received a common school education, and remained at home till 1878, when he entered the mercantile business at Crossroads with G. W. Wilson, where they remained in business till the railroad was built, at which time they removed to Everton and built the first store building, which was in the woods. The firm continued till 1882, in September, when Mr. McLemore retired, and in 1884 established the present firm with his brothers, Robert F. and Jasper M. This firm is one of the strongest mercantile firms in Dade County, They began with nothing, are thorough-going and live business men, and upright citizens. In 1881 William Y. married Serepta C., daughter of Calvin and Acenith Wheeler, formerly of East Tennessee, but early settlers of Dade County, where Mrs. McLemore was born, and where the father died. The mother died in Kansas. Mr. Wheeler was a merchant and manufacturer. Our subject has had three children, two of whom are living. In politics he is a Republican, voting for Hayes in 1876. He and wife are Presbyterians.