- Category: Biographies
- Published on Sunday, 19 February 2012 04:19
- Written by Katy Hestand
Martin Fidler, another enterprising farmer of Washington Township, and the son of David and Elizabeth (Williams) Fidler, was born in Lawrence County,Ind., in 1844. David Fidler was born in North Carolina, moved with his parents to Indiana, and was married in Lawrence County, Ind., in 1844. David Fidler was born inNorth Carolina, moved with his parents to Indiana, and was married in Lawrence County, of that State, to Miss Williams who died there in 1861. The father died inDade County, Mo., about 1884, and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was a farmer by occupation. The mother was a member of the Christian Church. Martin Fidler was the youngest of two sons and one daughter born to his parents, and received his education principally by his own exertion. In 1861, when seventeen years of age, he joined Company G, twenty-seventy Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served four months, when he was disabled. He afterwards joined Company G, of the fourth Indiana Cavalry, Seventy-seventh Regiment, and served until the close of the war. He was in many prominent engagements, was all through the Georgia campaign, and was wounded in the left shoulder at Montgomery, Ala., April 11, 1865, and was disabled from further service. He received his discharge atLouisville, Ky., and returned home. He was married in 1870 to Miss Nancy Ann, daughter of John and Mary Parman, and to them were born four children, three now living. Mrs. Fidler was born in Kentucky, and her parents are yet living. In 1871 Mr. Fidler moved to Jackson County, Mo., thence to Cass County, and finally to Dade County, where he has a fine farm of 200 acres on Turnback Creek, 150 acres under cultivation. He is one of the representative farmers of the county, and is engaged in improving stock, cattle, horse and hogs. Politically a Republican, his first vote was for Gen. U. S. Grant in 1868. He is a member of Greenfield Post of the G. A. R. Mrs. Fidler is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.